Date: 31st March 2013 at 11:05pm
Written by:

Albion snuck back into the top six despite having to settle for a share of the spoils against promotion rivals Forest following a feisty affair at the City Ground.

Substitute Lewis McGugan’s deflected effort cancelled out Leo Ulloa’s second half opener, before Will Buckley looked to have secured a Seagulls victory late on. Poyet’s men were to be denied, however, as a Casper Ankergren howler saw Henri Lansbury’s tame shot trickle into the net to level the scores in stoppage time.

Forest burst out of the blocks early on, pinning the visitors immediately onto the back-foot – Lansbury firing an early warning shot that brought a smart stop from Ankergren. Ex-Albion striker Darius Henderson saw a driven effort collected comfortably, before Andy Reid chipped over from close range.

With two committed sides playing with a high intensity, a physical nature to the game was certainly evident, and the ref was required to make his first real intervention when Danny Collins sent Ulloa flying into the air with a late challenge – the Reds skipper seeing yellow for his troubles.

The hosts were soon on the offensive again, however, as Ankergren was forced to produce a superb double stop – first denying Simon Cox, and then getting his body in the way of Henderson snap shot from barely 5 yards. Having weathered the storm, Albion gradually got a foothold in the game – David Lopez seeing his shot blocked after good work from Buckley.

Ulloa had two chances either side of the break, first his header narrowly missing Karl Darlow’s right-hand post, and then the Argentinian miscued a curling effort after creating space for himself in the box. After a highly charged first half, which involved a Kazenga LuaLua-related fracas, Poyet sent on Dean Hammond to replace the fired-up winger.

The Seagulls started the second half on top – the increasingly dangerous Ulloa was somehow denied by the head of Collins, after the the striker’s volley looked destined to hit the roof of the net. Ulloa was not to be denied a second time, however, as Matt Upson’s shot from a corner fell to the ex-La Liga striker, who drove a first time right-footed effort into the bottom corner.

Upson nearly added a second soon after, heading Hammond’s mishit volley towards goal, only for Dalow to smartly beat the ball round the post. Ankergren was again required up the other end to keep out Henderson’s fierce strike. However, Billy Davies’ men found their equaliser with 10 minutes remaining – sub McGugan’s shot from tight angle looping up off Hammond and past a hapless Ankergren.

Albion did not let their heads drop, as just 3 minutes later, a cross fell to Ulloa in the box, who calmly laid the ball to Buckley, who drove the ball first time past Darlow into the far corner to re-establish the visitor’s lead and send the away end into delirium. Just as the Seagulls looked to be on their way to a monumental 3 points, disaster struck..

Lansbury lined up a shot from 25-yards-out, and although the strike didn’t carry any great venom, the ball somehow squirmed beneath the legs of Ankergren and into the Albion net. A gutting way to conclude a thrilling encounter, but the point lifts the Seagulls back above Leicester and into 6th place.