Date: 26th January 2014 at 8:34am
Written by:

Brighton did enough to beat Micky Adams Port Vale at Vale Park on Saturday to move into the fifth round of the FA cup.

Albion needed to battle with the opposition as well as the conditions and the pitch, which was sodden even more by a pre-match thunderstorm, to win the fourth round meeting 3-1.

These conditions didn’t help either side but Vale are the side that would’ve arguably enjoyed them more but it was Albion that were going closest. Jon Obika, Rohan Ince and Andrea Orlandi all having efforts, with Orlandi’s going closest to troubling Chris Neal.

Neal’s first save of note was mate from Solly March but the Vale goalkeeper saved well.

March was one of the wholesale changes that Oscar made, as he did the last round, not only with a Championship game in mind in midweek but also to give some players much needed time on the pitch.

Albion got the breakthrough in the end though with Ince finishing well, his left foot finish from an Orlandi cross didn’t give Neal any chance whatsoever but far from breaking Vale it seemed to make them.

Vale had already threatened an equaliser when Chris Robertson got it as he headed past Peter Brezovan, another of those brought back into the side by Oscar.

This saw the Vale confidence grow but with half time arriving Albion took the lead again, not that this was intended. March collected a short corner from Orlandi and put in a cross, rather than picking out anyone this looped over all and ended up in the back of the net, much to March’s surprise but he’ll take it.

We were back in front and well on top in the second half, had it not been for Neal Albion would’ve been out of sight with his best save being made from Jake Forster-Caskey but even he was beaten by Kemy Agustien. His effort hit the post though.

Adams, who had made one half time change, went for it as the game wore on and throw on some more strikers. The risk was always likely that Albion would catch them on the break and it was a counter attack that clinched our win.

Obika, put clear by Ince, run through and rounded Neal before rolling the ball into the empty net to get us back to winning ways after the Derby defeat in the league last week. With a fifth round place secured it’s back to Championship action this week and a win is needed.