Date: 11th November 2012 at 10:24am
Written by:

Albion were made to settle for a share of the spoils as Roger Johnson salvaged a late point for 10 man Wolves to conclude a high-scoring thriller.

The hosts twice took the lead against the run of play, with Craig Mackail-Smith and Will Buckley cancelling out their efforts, before Stephen Dobbie looked to have sealed the points from the spot late on, however Johnson headed home during stoppage time to break Albion hearts in this roller-coaster affair.

Poyet’s men were in control early on – without threatening too often – as Spaniards Bruno, Andrea Orlandi and David Lopez forged some nice play down the right, and it was the latter who had the first opportunity, his low strike from Orlandi’s lay-off just evading the right-hand post.

However, Albion were dealt a blow when the hosts went ahead through their first real attack of the game on 22 minutes. Bakary Sako played a neat one two with Kevin Doyle in the area, with the Frenchman powering in behind Bruno to collect the pass and then drive the ball past Tomasz Kuszczak into the far corner of the net.

After a quiet 20 minute spell with few chances for either side, the game suddenly burst into life with an action-packed 5 minutes. Bruno gained possession and raced down the right-flank before picking out Mackail-Smith with a neat cut-back, where the in-form striker made no mistake in sweeping the ball into the top corner to level matters.

And not long after, Wolves were reduced to 10 men when Karl Henry lunged in with a high challenge on Liam Bridcutt, with the referee giving him his marching orders to suddenly swing the game in Albion’s favour. Indeed, moments into the second half the Seagulls should have taken the lead.

First Lopez failed to make a good connection with Bruno’s centre, and then Dobbie, having pounced on a Roger Johnson error, found himself through one-on-one with Carl Ikeme – but the Wolves stopper raced off his line to foil the striker’s efforts and keep his side level. And those missed opportunities looked to prove costly when Wolves again took the lead.

Bridcutt played Lewis Dunk into trouble with a misplaced pass, as the Albion defender then brought down Bjorn Sigurdarson with a late challenge. The referee played advantage, and Tongo Doumbia, picking the ball up in midfield, proceeding to drive forward and unleash a thunderous strike into the bottom left-hand corner.

Buckley and Ashley Barnes were introduced as Poyet adopted an all-out attacking formation for the final half an hour. Barnes nearly had an immediate impact – his powerful header from Dobbie’s corner rebounding off the crossbar. But it didn’t take long for Albion to get back on level terms.

Bridcutt poached possession from Doumbia in midfield, before carrying the ball towards the Wolves area, where he picked the perfect through-ball for Buckley, who smashed the ball past Ikeme from the edge of the box to complete part 1 of a potential turn-around. Barnes and Orlandi were then both denied as the visitors continued to flock forward in numbers.

A huge moment arrived as Roger Johnson was adjudged to have handled Dobbie’s clever back-heel in the area, and the Scot stepped up to emphatically fire home the spot-kick into the top corner and seemingly complete the come-back. That was, until Johnson – at the heart of everything – left the Albion frustrated as he lost his marker to head home a 92nd minute equaliser from 6 yards.